Home About Us Events Museum News Displays Artefacts Machines Rider's Profiles Tracks & Much More
The National Speedway Museum

Cardiff Speedway
1951

Cardiff Speedway racing out of Penarth Road Stadium were, during 1951, in the National League Division Three and it was their first year of league racing. Opened in 1950 the venue, although race ready, was used only for training during this, its first year.

The track was laid under the supervision of Alf Elliott and the meetings were promoted by speedway Racing (Cardiff) Ltd., But like so many others although the attendance figures were initially good when they opened on April 5 1951 with a Daily Mail National Trophy tie the spectator numbers steady dropped from the opening attendance of 20 thousand to 3 thousand average per meeting in 1953. Cardiff withdrew from the league after only 12 meetings and closed at the beginning of July 1953 with a Coronation Best Pairs contest.

Information taken from “Homes of British Speedway” courtesy John Jarvis and the image was supplied by Richard Austin.

Back to Track Index