Home About Us Events Museum News Displays Artefacts Machines Rider's Profiles Tracks & Much More
The National Speedway Museum


The Brandon Track was due to re-open for Speedway in 1937 following a period when only “Unofficial” meetings had taken place, this did not to happen due to the start of World War II. All hope of racing anything on the track was stopped when the Army moved onto the site.

Following the end of the war the track shape was altered and some of the now redundant Nissen huts were to become offices for the soon to return Coventry Bees.

Re-opened in May 1948 for Speedway by Charles Ochiltree and Mrs Jack Parker the first meeting, a National Trophy tie, was delayed by problems with the track lighting and it was probably not the sort of start that was wanted by the Brandon management, the Bees lost 59-48

The Coventry Bees continued riding in the National League Division Three for 1948 moving into Division Two for 1949 and in the year of the programme shown here they finished in forth place. Coventry continued riding within the NL Division Two until the end of the 1956 season.

Coventry Bees 1948 - 1956

Return to Track Index

Cover Image Courtesy Richard Austin