The stadium situated in the area of Shepherd’s Bush and called White City was originally built to house the 1908 Olympics, it was called White City because to the white, bright, ferro-
The following year 1928 dirt-
Joining the Southern League in 1929 all boded well for speedway at the track but that hope was to be short lived as the venue was to be closed to speedway at the end of that season when on the 4th October Vic Huxley brought this period of speedway racing to a close when he won the Silver Sash.
Twenty four years later ‘speedway’ returned to White City stadium when on the 20th of May 1953 as part of The Cavalcade of Sports when a group of speedway riders made an appearance, Jack Young, Aub Lawson, Bill Kitchen, Freddie Williams, Jeff Lloyd and Split Waterman, who riding Vespas (scooters) to avoid damage to the athletics track, gave entertainment in the form of a mini meeting consisting of two heats with three riders in each followed by a final that was won by Jack Young, the riders gave their services free as the programme of events organised by the Sunday Pictorial was staged for the benefit of the St John Ambulance Brigade. Speedway continued to make a once a year appearance in these Cavalcade of Sports events until 1958, all followed the original three race formula. There was a gap in such activity for a couple of years resuming again for one year in 1961 this time promoted by the Daily Mirror.
A further speedway drought followed ending when in 1976 Danny Dunton promoted speedway at White City entering a team in the British League, the team known as the Rebels, the management of a company called Oxspeed Limited. It proved very difficult to attract enough spectators to make the use of this prestige venue viable and the attempt to run a speedway team from White City was abandoned after three years at the end of the 1978 season.
This was not however the end of speedway as the site was used to stage nine more high-
Three meeting again in 1982 -
The last greyhound meeting was held in September 1984 and the once glorious White City was demolished.
Thanks to John Jarvis for his permission to use data from his book ‘Homes of British Speedway’
and John Somerville for the photograph.