Built in 1010, Brough Park was originally for horse racing and a park. 1912 Newcastle City Football Club made it their home but failing in their attempted to join the Football League they faded away until after World War one. Greyhound racing was started in 1928 and Dirt Track in 1929
The first Speedway meeting took place on 17 May promoted by Newcastle Motor Racing Club Limited, they entered a team in the English Dirt-Track League who finished in the bottom half and were not entered the following year.
1930 and the speedway at Brough Park and it was planned to run on an open licence during that year but in the event only half a season of speedway took place as following a scratch event scheduled for 4 July the track became redundant as no more speedway took place on it until 1938.
Our thanks to John Jarvis for permission to extract information from his book ‘Homes of British Speedway’ and John Somerville who supplied the programme image