Home About Us Events Museum News Displays Artefacts Machines Rider's Profiles Tracks Books Links & Much More
The National Speedway Museum

Speedway at Brough Park was revived by Mike Parker who entered a team based at this Newcastle venue into the Provincial League for the 1961 season, the team still known as the Diamonds. Although the team finished last in the Provincial league in this their first year they remained racing in this league for four years slowly improving their yearend position until in 1964 they won the Provincial League.

This win placed them in an excellent position to be founder members of the new League founded for the 1965 season. This was the result of the combining of the two previous leagues known as the National (top) and the Provincial (second) and making one all inclusive, and large group of 18 teams competing in the same league now known as the British League.

Brough Park
1986 -1994

Our thanks to John Jarvis for permission to extract information from his book ‘Homes of British Speedway’  

No track action during 1985 and in 1986 promoter John Turner re-opened the Brough Park track but the team rode as the Federation Specials Diamonds, due to the local sponsorship of a brewery. They were riding in the National League and ended the season one off the bottom of the table.

1987 and a new promoter Eric Stead, the team back to being the Diamonds and still in the National League, this year improving slightly over the 1996 result but found themselves still in the lower half of the table. The track was closed to speedway yet again for 1988, reopening in 1989 under new promotion - Barry Wallace and Richard Bailey trading under the name of Spectake Limited who remained in the driving seat until 1991, the team still riding in the National League.

Yet another change for 1991 again in the management with Richard Bailey and Bill Reay heading a large management committee. 1992 sadly this year goes down in history because of a speedway fatality due to an accident on the Newcastle track when during a semi-final tie for the knock-out cup against Peterborough - Wayne Garratt was fatally injured during the running of heat 14 and was transferred to the Newcastle General where he died 15 days later having be kept on a life support machine.

In 1991 the National League became the British League Division Two and the Newcastle team stayed in this league through to 1994 when under new or rather different management for 1994, Trevor Barnes and Richard Bailey operating as joint promoters  but this was to be yet another year when racing was to come to an end at the venue this time until 1997.

Programme Covers courtesy
Newcastle Speedway History Site

Click for 1997 to present day Click for Newcastle Index