Home About Us Events Museum News Displays Artefacts Machines Rider's Profiles Tracks Books Links & Much More
The National Speedway Museum

Quoted from ‘Home of British Speedway’ with the kind permission of John Jarvis.

“Dr W Ambrose and O S Ambrose introduced the dirt-track sport to the venue. The promotional duo appointed E R Smith as track manager, with a suitable racing strip constructed inside the dog circuit. On 18 September prior to the opening meeting, Nobby Kendrick gave the cinder track raceway a trial run and it was described as being ‘very smooth, with acute turns’. The floodlit track was declared open by W Harvey-Reeves, in the absents of the Mayor, five days later on the 23 September, when a crowd of almost 4,000 saw Billy Ellimore triumph in the Flying Sixteen event”.

“On 11 June 1930, an intercity match between Northampton and Wolverhampton was abandoned after heat ten, with the home side holding a 21-14 advantage at the time. For sometime before this, there had been numerous complaints about noise from the nearby general hospital and this turned out to be the last trace of the cinder sport at the venue.

After the decision had been taken to abandon dirt-track activities, the stadium reverted back to staging three dog meetings per week. A final greyhound meeting went ahead at the stadium on 31 October 1964. A proposal to reintroduce speedway to the venue in 1965 fell through when the site was sold for industrial development”.

Back to Track Index

Our thanks to John Somerville for allowing the use of this image.