Home About Us Events Museum News Displays Artefacts Machines Rider's Profiles Tracks Books Links & Much More
The National Speedway Museum

Two speedway meetings were held at this venue during 1932 but this was speedway on grass not cinder, the first being held on 16 May and the second the 11 June - the first meeting was staged by South Reading Motorcycle Club and the second by promoted by Reading and District Motorcycle Club. No more motorcycle sport of any kind was to be held there until 1968 although an attempt was made in 1947 to introduce speedway but the venue was refused a licence to run open meetings and repeat application in 1948 was also refused. Another effort was made in 1949  and  again in 1965 but on both occasions the proposals came to nothing.

In 1968 the promotion of allied Presentations Limited, headed by Reg Fearman finally managed to get permission, a licence and to lay a cinder circuit on top of the existing stock car oval. The opening took place on the 17th June, when the newly formed team called the Reading Racers beat a team from Nelson 41-37 in a British League Division Two meeting, it is recorded that the entry charges were 5 shillings for adults and 3 for children and that 5,000  spectators attended.

After three years racing in Division Two an exchange of licence with Newcastle allowed Reading to join the first division for the 1971 season, they remained in Division One for the next two years but speedway was to cease at the venue at the end of the 1973 season with the last greyhound meeting held in the January of 1974. The venue at Tilehurst was soon to be demolished and Reg Fearman and the team were to start their search for a replacement track and finally found at Smallmead where a track was built and racing resumed in 1975.

Reading Speedway
at the Greyhound Stadium, Oxford Road, Tilehurst

Return to Index of 'R' tracks